Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Way You Look Tonight

I loved everything about Nepal and it is definitely on my list of places to visit/work in the future. I would have loved more time to explore the country and the culture, but I suppose for now I will have to do it vicariously through L. and books I've ordered online, waiting for me in Niagara...

Other things I loved about Nepal was the fact that Nepali women are just so damn beautiful. Of course saris make all women look majestic, but there was something about their facial structure and their ethnic ambiguity (to me) that added an extra layer of awe...they weren't Indian, or Tibetan, or Bhutanese, or anything...but you could see resemblences of all of it in them. I know it's naive of me to say they are ethnically ambiguous because they are obviously Nepali, but not having known many Nepalis I try to abstract from the people I do know...Even the modern women were fashionable - with their henna and kajol paried with 3-inch stilettos and cute hair - totally different from Bangladesh...

Even more other things I loved...chai. BG doesn't make chai, they have tea from tea bags and thats about it. It makes me sad. But here, there was a warm milky smoothness of a good pot of chai - the fragrance of cloves and cinnamom wafting through restaurants and the oh-so-magnificant taste of cardamon as it rests in your mouth. For a coutry that produces 10 million pounds of tea a year, you think BG would have gotten the splendor by now...but still people ask me "why do you like milk tea so much?" I cry.

1 comment:

  1. the thought of a cup of real chai tea right now makes me want to cry too... dislike tea from teabags!!

    ReplyDelete