Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day 6: Bodnanth and Leaving...

The Bodnanth stupa is one of the largest stupas in Nepal and has tons of Tibetan influence. Om mani padme hum (a mantra to the Bodhisattva of Compassion) is everywhere...chanted...written...it's in the air. Not much to say about this other than it was really big and I don't have pictures of it for the same reason. Once I get my computer back, I promise to update everything with lovely pictures.

After spending some time wandering, having tea, and buying a thanka painting, I returned to the hotel, had some chai and made my way to the airport. K. had to renew his visa, so had returned to Kathmandu alone earlier. I didn't know if it would be granted in time and I didn't know if I would see him on the plane...luckily and after the plane waited specially for him, he made it (!).

Flying home was an adventure in itself. I was probably the only girl in coach and was sitting alone among Nepali workers heading to Malaysia and Saudi Arabia for work. Another highlight was that we got to see Mt. Everest - rising from the clouds like something you would see in a Disney movie - completely unreal and some sort of etherial plane for higher beings. I mean it just looks like a snow-capped mountain, but really, when have you seen a mountain that is higher than your at-full-altitude plane (well, maybe YOU have).

The moment we stepped into Bangladesh, I missed Nepal - the cool breeze, the presence of women, the Hindu/Buddhist culture, and the lack of smell of defecation...oh well, we were back.

No comments:

Post a Comment