Monday, November 2, 2009

It's been a while...

So, I obviously haven't updated this in a really long time...mainly it was because I was really frustrated with my project and the delays we had been encountering that I didn't want that frustration to taint the rest of my experiences...the issues haven't really gotten much better, rather they have morphed into new and different issues. I figure its all part of the research game and definitely the internship experience, so I might as well update you all on what else has been happening since the beginning of September. I will detail it slowly over the course of a while so bear with me.

September 2 - 7: I went to Nepal, which is one of the most beautiful places I have been, so I definitely need time to expand and put up pictures.

September 8 - 19: I took a visit to my field site, which is GORGEOUS. Although we didn't have IRB approval to actually do any research, I met the staff, introduced myself at the hospitals we would be working at, and made some field visits to see how the actual project was going to work.

September 19 - October 12: I sat in Dhaka waiting for my project start. Eid occured and my advisor from Hopkins came for a conference. I went to the conference, attended a planning meeting for a new neonatal health study, and just hung out. Once the beginning of October hit and my project still wasn't off the ground, I began to look for extra work to supplement my time. I found 3 new projects/people to involve myself with...I then FINALLY got IRB approval and headed down to my field site to start my work.

October: Throughout October I have been travelling back and forth from Dhaka (the capital) to my field site by overnight bus (it takes 11 hours) to handle the extra projects I am working on and my own research project.

October 29: We had a Hallowe'en party where we got to invite all the Bangladeshi's from ICDDR, B and exposed them to a wonderful Western holiday - complete with costumes, decorations, candy, and candied apples...mmmm.

So, now I am again at my fieldsite for a week before I head back to Dhaka for a week to have some more meetings and trainings. Throughout the week I will be updating and expanding on all of the things above, complete with pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment